Have you ever wondered what a root canal really is? Underneath your tooth’s enamel and dentin is its pulp, a small, threadlike, soft tissue that is present inside your root canal. Root canal therapy, colloquially called a “root canal,” offers a solution to infected or inflamed dental pulp.
When dental pulp becomes infected or inflamed, a root canal procedure can remove and replace the affected pulp with materials that seal off the root canal from its supporting structures. While patients usually need a dental crown or filling to protect and restore the tooth that received root canal therapy, the root canal procedure can save a severely damaged tooth that would otherwise need to be extracted. For those in need of Marrero root canal, the team at Southern Dental Care is at your service!
Who Needs a Marrero Root Canal?
So how do you know if your dental pulp is infected? When should you consider root canal therapy? Ask yourself the following questions:
- Do you experience severe pain when you eat, drink, or brush your teeth?
- When your tooth is exposed to heat or cold, does it cause sensitivity or lingering pain?
- Are your gums swollen or tender near the root of the tooth in question?
- Can you see darkening or other discoloration in the suspected tooth or the gums surrounding this tooth?
- Have you found any painful sores or lumps on your gums?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, you might need a root canal procedure. Even if your answer for every question was “no,” it is still possible that you require root canal therapy! At Southern Dental Care, we recommend all patients attend regular dental examinations and cleanings for this very reason. Early detection can make a big difference, so contact us to make sure you’re scheduled for routine dental visits.
What’s the Treatment?
Southern Dental Care employs several dentists with advanced endodontic training to help you prevent, diagnose, or treat problems with your dental pulp. We are fully qualified to perform Marrero root canal for those who need them. Here’s what you can expect from your root canal therapy:
- X-rays — To discover the extent of the infection or inflammation and identify any previous root canal procedures for the tooth, we will first take x-rays of your mouth.
- Anesthesia — Next, we use a local anesthetic to numb your tooth and the surrounding tissues. Although you will be awake for the procedure, the anesthetic keeps you comfortable and free of pain. If you’re feeling especially nervous, however, we are happy to discuss extra measures we can take to ensure your relaxation.
- Removal — We carefully and expertly remove the damaged tissues while you’re numb.
- Cleaning and sealing — Finally, we will finish the procedure by treating any other needs your tooth presents. We may leave the surface of the tooth open for additional drainage and schedule a second or third appointment if you have a more serious infection. In some cases, we may use a temporary filling. In others, we may seal the tooth completely in a single appointment.
For an in-depth look at what root canal treatments involve, read this information from the American Association of Endodontists.
Marrero Root Canal at Southern Dental Care
If you believe you need a root canal, please contact Southern Dental Care today. We will see your procedure through from start to finish and provide you with any information you need about caring for your mouth after a root canal procedure. Our office is conveniently located at 7301 Westbank Expressway in Marrero, but we happily serve the needs of the entire greater New Orleans area.