The 5-step process for filling a cavity is more important than ever in 2021. According to the Center for Disease Control, 9 out of 10 adults have some degree of tooth decay, and during the last year, some aren’t taking advantage of the dentist during the Covid-19 pandemic while spending more time at home. A combination of stress, inactivity, and even unnatural eating habits has set in on Americans and tooth decay is an all-too-often symptom of the “Quarantine-15” Yale Medicine has affectionately dubbed our weight gain as a nation. In this season, it comes as no surprise that tooth fillings are an extremely important procedure across the U.S. In fact, you’ve probably gotten your teeth filled in the past but may not realize you’re long overdue for a checkup and recheck. The good news is the process is simple and though you’ll arrive at our Marrero dentist with a cavity, we promise you’ll leave without one. We don’t want to bore you with the detailed ins-and-outs of tooth-colored fillings New Orleans has to offer, so let’s get right to the five basics of the cavity filling process.
5-Steps To Cavity-Free Tooth-Colored Fillings
Here at Southern Dental Care, we perform our tooth-colored fillings New Orleans in five basic steps:
- Numbing the Tooth- A member of our expert dental team will begin the procedure by numbing your gum with a topical gel. We will then slowly inject an anesthetic into your gum tissue. This will further numb the area where we will be working.
- Removing Decay- Once we have fully numbed your tooth, your dentist will then use a high-speed drill to get rid of the decay that has built up in your tooth. They will then use another slower drill once they get to the more sensitive dentin.
- Preparing the Tooth- Our dentists prepare your tooth by shaping out space where the filling will be placed. For tooth colored fillings, only a very small amount of your natural tooth needs to be removed for a good bond.
- Filling the Tooth- Depending on whether or not you are getting a bonded filling, your dentist will use an acid gel underneath the filling. This is sometimes necessary to create a durable bond between your tooth and the tooth colored filling material. Once the gel has set, your dentist will insert the filling material.
- Checking Your Dental Bite- Once we have finished the filling, it is necessary to make sure you won’t have problems with your bite in the future. We will have you bite down on a small piece of carbon paper. This will help us identify and remove high spots on your new tooth colored filling.
More About Tooth Colored Fillings in New Orleans
As your New Orleans tooth colored fillings specialists, we want to provide you with the best dental care possible. Southern Dental Care is here to help you with all of your dental needs including tooth colored fillings and other services such as root canals, bridges, crowns, and veneers, and dental implants. Contact us today to set up an appointment to get started with any of our services.