Teeth can become damaged by injury and cavities or become worn down by substances such as citrus and alcohol. Once such an incident occurs, you can fix a chipped tooth fast at Southern Dental Care. Here are the options in repairing chipped teeth:
Composite bonding repairs chipped teeth for up to 10 years. In this process, the dentist roughens the tooth and places a conditioning liquid on the surface. Putty is next applied, molded and smoothed over the tooth. An ultraviolet light hardens the composite and it is polished and shaped to the tooth after it is completely dried.
A crown covers a chipped tooth and is one of the most common remedies for a damaged tooth. The process for a crown placement is as follows:
1. An anesthesia, sometimes with the option of sedation, is administered
2. The damaged tooth is prepared for the crown
3. Impressions of the tooth are taken and sent to a lab to create the crown
4. A temporary crown is placed on the tooth until the permanent crown is available
5. The permanent crown is cemented into the prepared tooth
Veneers cover the front of the tooth. These covers can be placed on one tooth or more and can last up to 30 years. The procedure for placing a veneer on a tooth goes as follows:
1. Part of the tooth is removed in order to make room for the veneer
2. Impressions are taken of the prepared tooth
3. Temporary veneers are applied while the permanent veneers are being prepared
4. Temporary veneers are removed with permanent replacements
A chipped tooth that extends below the gumline may mean that the tooth needs to be pulled. A dental implant to replace the missing tooth is then prepared in a process that takes up to 16 weeks. A dental implant is for extremely chipped tooth cases; if the chip is so severe that it immediately spreads through the entire tooth, or if it goes untreated for such a long period of time that an extract is necessary.
A root canal is another treatment for a severe chipped tooth. A root canal may be needed if a chipped tooth begins to cause swelling, sensitivity and toothaches or if an abscess appears.
There are varied options to fix a chipped tooth; it’s best to fix a chipped tooth fast at Southern Dental Care to avoid complications caused by delaying action. There you can consult with your dentist for the best option for treatment and return your smile to its brilliance.